Grooming your beard becomes a whole lot easier when you have the right trimmer. In order to find the best trimmer for you, we must look at their battery backup, number of length settings, quality of blade material, warranty, price and other small features.
Here, I have listed some good performing trimmers with their pros and cons.
- Blades: It has rounded-tip blades to avoid irritating contact with the skin. Extra- sharp blades on this trimmer provide clean trimming of hair.
- Battery: This trimmer has fast charging battery. With just 1 hour of charging it will provide up to 90 minutes of continuous use.This is way better than other trimmers in this price range.
- Length setting: Without the comb this trimmer will give a 0.5 mm trim. With the comb attachment you can vary the length from 0.5 mm to 10 mm in small steps of 0.5 mm. That provides a lot of flexibility for styling your beard and mustache, with total 20 length settings.
- Maintenance: blade attachment is easily removed and can be washed with water. Make sure that it’s dry before you put it back on the trimmer. The trimmer itself cannot be washed directly under water.
No oiling is required for maintaining the trimmer.
With this trimmer you also get a pouch for storing the trimmer and it is really convenient when carrying it while travelling.
- Warranty: two year International warranty is provided by Philips on this trimmer. You can get additional one year warranty be registering the product on Philips site. So overall a 3 year of warranty is really cool.
Blades are coated with titanium which makes them more resistant to abrasion, making them last longer and provide smooth cutting for a long time.
You can also use this trimmer while it is plugged in, so that you don’t have to wait for the battery to charge before trimming your beard.
It has an LED indicator which shows both plugged-in state and battery status. While the battery is charging it blinks green, steady green when battery is full and orange when battery is low.
Buy from: Amazon
- Blades: Blades with rounded tips are designed for skin friendly experience. It doesn’t have titanium coated blades like QT4011/15 but blades are made of double sharpened steel which provide clean and effective trim.
- Battery and charging: This trimmer can also be used both in corded and cordless mode.
It also charges pretty fast, with 1 hr of charging it can be used for up to 60 minutes, which is plenty for multiple trims.
- This trimmer has both battery status and charging indicator.
- Length setting: Length adjustment on this trimmer starts from 0.4 mm and goes up to 10 mm with the comb. Length increments of 0.2 mm on this trimmer provide more precision than ever. In total it has 17 length settings.
- Maintenance: Philips BT5200/15 is fully waterproof, which allows you to directly wash the trimmer under tap to clean it quickly and more frequently. Like other Philips trimmers you don’t have to use lubricating oil in this trimmer.
- Warranty: 2 year warranty is provided with additional 1 year when the product is registered on the website.
Buy from: Amazon
- Blades: It has stainless steel blades. Blades are provided with rounded tips.
- Battery: This model has a slower charging battery than the top two trimmers mentioned above.
Full charging of battery requires 8-10 hours and that will give us a usage time of up to 45 minutes. This trimmer cannot be used while it is charging, so you have to plan ahead and plug in the charge a night before you want to groom your facial hair.
- It has charging indicator but doesn’t have battery status indicator.
- Length settings: Minimum length adjustment on this trimmer is 0.5mm which is when you don’t attach the comb. With the comb you can go up to 10 mm in increments of 0.5 mm. That gives us 20 settings for perfect flexibility for styling the facial hair.
- Maintenance: Blade head can be removed from the trimmer and washed, while the trimmer body is not washable. No oiling is required for this trimmer.
- Warranty: It comes with a total 3 year warranty.
Buy from: Amazon
- Length settings: With the comb the length can be varied from 2 mm to 18 mm. For a closer trim of 0.5 mm, comb attachment can be removed. A total of 13 length settings are present.
- Battery and charging: This trimmer can be used while charging. For cordless use it can be used for 40 minutes on full charge. Full battery requires up to 12 hour of charging.
- Maintenance: Trimmer body is not washable. Blades can be removed and washed. This trimmer does require oiling for proper maintenance.
- Warranty: Two year warranty is provided on this trimmer.
Buy from: Amazon
- This trimmer runs on 2 AA batteries. You can use normal AA batteries but I would suggest you use rechargeable batteries if you already have spares. Know that the battery backup will vary with what kind of battery you use. A good set of rechargeable battery can give you over 2 months of use on single charge. This is arguably one of the best budget trimmer for men in India.
- It has four built in length settings. Without the comb the length is 0.5 mm. Overall trimming range is 0.5 to 7 mm.
- Maintenance: To clean the trimmer you have to remove the head and wash it. Don’t wash the trimmer. You don’t need to put oil for maintaining this trimmer.
- It includes a brush to clean the hairs that get stuck inside the trimmer.
- Warranty: It comes with 2 year warranty.
Buy from: Amazon
Choosing the best beard trimmer for yourself
When buying one for yourself there are a few things to consider-
Corded/cordless use and charging time:
Some trimmers can only be used when they are partially or fully charged and not while they are plugged in. Some others can be used when the battery is empty but you have plugged in the charger. If you think you will forget to charge the battery when a quick shave is required before going to office, definitely buy a trimmer which can also be used while plugged-in.
Philips QT4011/15, Philips BT5200/15 and Panasonic ER207WK44B are few which can be used while charging.
If you prefer a trimmer which operates on AA batteries, Philips BT1000/15 is your choice.
Some trimmers require 8-10 hr of charging for full battery level, e.g. QT4005, ER207, QT4006 etc. While some people don’t mind charging their device for a full night before grooming their beard, I prefer short charging duration of BT5200 or QT4011.
Trim length and precision: Most trimmers will give a short trim of 0.5 mm length when used without the comb attachment. After that length can be increased in small step usually .5mm or 1mm upto a maximum.
Philips BT5200/15 provides closest trim with 0.4mm and has very high precision with 0.2mm adjustments.
Battery indicator: Not all trimmers have indicator for displaying battery level. Most have only charging indicator which indicates that your trimmer is plugged in properly and is charging up. BT5200/15 and QT4011/15 do have battery indicator included.
Which one now?: Alright, now that you have seen different types and features, decide what your requirements will be and then we can find the best trimmer for you. For most people QT4011 is more than perfect. However, for more precision and flexibility BT5200 is a good investment. If you are looking for budget trimmers have a look at best trimmers under ₹1000.
If you find this article helpful or have question, feel free to write your thoughts in comment section.